How to clean your diamond ring at home
Restore that sparkle and shine
When you have a piece of diamond jewellery that you love, whether it is your diamond engagement ring or a cherished piece of eternity jewellery, you want to keep it in excellent condition. While your diamond ring does not need a huge amount of care and attention, an ongoing care routine will ensure it is always looking its best.
We wanted to cover over some of our top tips for how to clean your diamond ring at home. There are some key dos and don'ts to ensure that your ring is always sparkling and shining as it should.
For stunning diamond engagement rings, and ongoing diamond jewellery care, you can rely on Bevilles for beautiful jewellery. Got a diamond that needs some extra special attention? Come and visit us at your nearest Bevilles store for professional diamond cleaning.
Top tips for diamond care
When it comes to taking care of your diamond ring, the first thing you need to do is make sure you clean it at least once a month. When you clean your ring regularly you will be assured of a stunning sparkle and shine.
- Regular short cleans are great for ensuring a sparkling ring without overdoing it
- A gentle and patient approach is best for top results
- Every ring, metal, setting, and stone requires a slightly different method of cleaning, so be sure to use the right one for your ring
Cleaning your diamond ring with a platinum, silver, white gold or gold band
While certain types of ring will demand different types of cleaning there are a couple of blanket rules which apply to all rings. One of these is plain soap and water will clean all rings, no matter the setting or metal type. So, here are the steps to follow.
- Get a small bowl and add some basic dishwashing liquid to warm water.
- Soak your ring in the solution for up to 40 minutes, depending on how long it has been since you last cleaned it. If you cleaned your ring recently, 20 minutes should do it.
- If your ring has any residue from things like hairspray, makeup or fake tan then be sure to use a very soft bristled toothbrush to remove this.
- Once your ring has had a good soak and a bit of a scrub with your gentle toothbrush you can rinse it under warm running water.
- Not quite as clean as you would like? Repeat the process.
Even though you can get certified jewellery cleaners some of these can damage your ring. Gentle soap and water is the best choice.
Top Tip: If you do want to go down the road of getting a jewellery cleaner be sure to do your research. Do not choose a chemical cleaner with abrasive actions. There are plenty of great cleaning products out there if this is what you prefer.
Specific metal cleaning tips
Got a silver or gold ring? You can use a combination of 50% windex (yes, the window cleaner) mixed with 50% hydrogen peroxide. Put the mix in a small glass bowl (not metal or plastic) and soak your ring for about 15 minutes. The combination of products will remove oily buildup and - bonus - will kill any bacteria on the ring. This is a great choice of diamond ring cleaner for mums with young bubs or kids who have recently been unwell.
Specific setting cleaning tips
If your ring is an antique or heirloom piece you may well have a stone which could be loose or may be at risk of coming loose. When cleaning it is always best to inspect your ring for signs of wear or damage just in case. You should use a soft cloth - our stores stock a range of cleaning cloths - and be gentle with cleaning your ring, paying special attention to intricate settings.
Daily wear and care tips
Want to give yourself longer between cleans? While you can clean your ring up to once a week, with these tips you can probably get away with cleaning once a month!
- Take off your diamond engagement ring when you are baking, bathing, and cleaning.
- Don't let any chemicals, lotions, or sunscreen come into contact with your diamond ring.
- Keep your ring away from dust, sand and other potential abrasive agents.
- Remove your ring when playing sport and gardening.
- Store your diamond engagement rings, wedding rings, necklaces and diamond jewellery in its own special spot.
Professional diamond care
Want to ensure your diamond ring always looks its best? While you can take the steps to care for your diamond engagement ring at home Bevilles offers professional in-store care to restore the lustre and shine to your special piece. We offer a professional deep clean that is gentle yet thorough to ensure your diamond ring has the same sparkle and shine it had on your wedding day.
In home care is a vital part of keeping your diamonds sparkling. When you want a professional clean be sure to visit a Bevilles store near you.