Your guide to understanding the carats of gold
We’ve all been mesmerised by a new gold engagement ring, and most of us are aware that a higher carat translates to higher quality – but also a higher price tag. However, there is much more to understanding the different karats of gold, and knowing what each one offers will help you make the best choice when buying gold jewellery.
- 9-carat gold – Most day-to-day gold wedding and engagement rings as well as necklaces, bracelets and earrings are created from this 37.5% pure gold metal. It has a lighter colour, but is arguably the most affordable and durable of all the options, making it a great everyday staple. This is the minimum purity level prescribed in Australia.
- 14-carat gold – At 58.5% pure gold, 14-carat gold is a popular choice when purchasing a special gift or spoiling someone, maybe even yourself! It still contains enough real gold to have an authentic yellow hue, but is more affordable than 18-karat gold.
- 18-carat gold – Appreciated for its brighter and more radiant tone, this gold is commonly used in luxurious pieces, especially when it comes to engagement rings and special jewellery items.
- 22-carat gold – This gold is 91.6% percent pure gold, and is still extremely soft. It would be best used to create simple, special occasion jewellery that would be stored properly and cared for greatly between uses.
- 24-carat gold – You know that this is "best", but what exactly does that mean? In short, 24-carat gold is the purest form of gold, at 99.9% purity. What many people don’t know is that this level of purity comes at a price, and that you’re not likely to see it in any jewellery. Gold this pure is extremely soft and cannot hold its shape, and is more likely to be used as an investment currency than anything else.
Which level of carat you choose can depend on many things, including your spending range, the occasion, and the type of jewellery you want to wear. If you need guidance in narrowing down your decision, you can always visit a Bevilles store near you for assistance, or feel free to check out our online range of gold rings, earrings, necklaces, bracelets and more.