A guide to caring for diamond jewellery
How to care for diamond jewellery
Although diamonds are the hardest naturally occurring substance known to us, they still require a bit of care. Caring for diamond jewellery is about protecting them from damage and helping them to look their absolute best.
As diamond engagement rings and diamond wedding bands are common worn all day, every day, they can be susceptible to increased tarnishing and deterioration.
At Bevilles, we want to see your diamonds sparkle. You can follow these easy diamond care tips below, or drop into your local Bevilles store to have your diamonds professionally maintained. To learn more about the unique properties of diamonds, visit The Diamond Guide.
Easy diamond care at home
You can improve the sparkle of your diamond by practising an easy home care routine. By cleaning your diamond jewellery every two to four weeks, you can prevent the gradual build up of dirt and grime. The more regularly the diamond is cleaned, the more impressive it will look on your hand.
Follow these easy steps for a cleaner and more lustrous piece of diamond jewellery. Please note: This process will not be suitable for heirloom or estate jewellery. If you own an older piece that needs cleaning, ensure that you bring it to a professional jeweller for cleaning.
Soak your diamond jewellery in a gentle degreasing solution, such as a bowl of water with a few drops of dish soap.
- Remove your jewellery from the water and use a brand new, soft bristled tooth brush to remove any dirt and grime.
- Gently dry your jewellery with a soft cloth and be careful not to press too hard or bend any prongs.
Daily wearing tipsThere are several things you can do each day to ensure that your
- Remove your diamond jewellery when swimming, bathing, and cleaning.
- Keep your diamond jewellery away from sunscreen, makeup, and cleaning chemicals.
- Don't let fine dust and sand come into contact with your diamond jewellery.
- Take off your diamond jewellery when sleeping, gardening, and playing sport.
- Store all diamond engagement rings, diamond necklaces, diamond earrings, and diamond wedding bands separately.
All of these tips will prevent against tarnishing and damage to your diamonds.
Diamond damageAlthough they are the hardest element, diamonds are not totally impervious to harm. Poor diamond care can result in permanent, irreversible damage to your stones. To get the longest life out of your diamond jewellery, you should be wary of these common avenues of diamond damage:
- Diamonds can be scratched by other diamonds. Diamonds can also scratch the softer metals and stones of other pieces of jewellery.
- The raised vertices on a diamond can chip. Heavy impacts can put stress on the most vulnerable parts of your diamond jewellery.
- Diamonds can tarnish and lose their sparkle. The use of chemicals, creams, soaps, and detergents can make your diamonds become permanently less lustrous.
At Bevilles, we stock several cleaning products to help keep your diamond engagement rings, diamond wedding bands, diamond earrings, and diamond bracelets looking their brilliant best.
Bevilles Jewellery Cleaner Unit
Bevilles Jewellery Cleaner Unit cleans your diamond jewellery pieces using ultrasonic waves and high quality cleaning fluid. The device creates microscopic bubbles that remove grime from your jewellery, restoring them to their original brilliance.
Sonic Jewellery Cleaner
Our Sonic Jewellery Cleaner solution is used in the Jewellery Cleaning Unit. This quality cleaning fluid will leave your diamond rings, diamond earrings, and diamond bracelets looking like new.
Professional diamond care
Bevilles will always recommend professional cleaning for your diamond jewellery. Ideally, you should have your diamond pieces professionally examined, cleaned, and restored at least once every 12 months. Jewellers are trained to identify any stress, damage, and wear on your jewellery. The last thing you want is to lose a diamond because of a bent prong.
For professional diamond jewellery care, visit a Bevilles store near you.